Community Message Boards

Thread: Ideas for Christmas dinner?

Default Ideas for Christmas dinner?

So, I need some suggestions on what to cook for Christmas dinner.

My oven still isn't working and it's too cold to grill out and so I'm a bit at a loss.

My range top still works, I have two good sized Crockpots and a bread machine, I'm just not sure what to fix.

I flipped through my personal cookbook tonight but didn't find anything.

I think I'll try looking through some of my other cookbooks tomorrow and maybe I can find something but I thought I'd see if anybody here had any ideas.

For the record, I don't need anything big and fancy, just something a little nicer than usual.

It's just going to be me, my step-dad and my mother.
    There's a part of me that will always be/
    Just a boy in a hole with a M-16

ST, if you're not caring if its traditional (such as turkey, ham) why not throw a roast in that crockpot, do some veggies, make some bread. I think something other that the traditional is good for a change.

ST do you have an electric fry pan? You could do turkey pieces in that with a gravy type sauce. Better yet if you can get your hands on an electric roaster I've cooked turkey in that to make room in the oven. Then use your stove top and make stuffing, gravy, beans or other veggie of choice on it. Buy a pre made pie.
    Here is another idea...the neighbors your always cooking for are they gone or need help to cook the big dinner? Offer to be chef for a day with most of the goodies cooked there.

Hope any or all these ideas help you.
    Merry Christmas
    Tink

Thanks for the suggestions and I do have an electric skillet. Two of them actually but as it turns out, I don't have to worry about it.

It was just going to be my step-dad, my mother and me to start with.

Well my step-dad's cousin is going to pick him up and take him to his sister's house.

My mother has to work and after she gets off work, she's going to go to my step-dad's sister's house and so it's just me.

I think I'm going to fry a steak and some potatoes.

And please, nobody feel sorry for me, I don't at all mind spending Christmas alone.

I could go to my step-dad's sister's place if I wanted but I'm perfectly happy to stay home, have some drinks, smoke a good cigar and play with my computers.

There are a few people I want to go see and wish them a Merry Christmas, but I'll most likely do that on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.

Sounds like a plan to me, Southern Thunder. I've been alone on Christmas and it was OK. I'm not a traditionalist at heart although I do like it when DH is not 'away' at Christmas. He is at home this year. Too bad he's missing a trip to Hawaii. Some of the guys love doing the Christmas stint since the Obamas occupy the WH.

I'm not working right now but I've worked many a Christmas, as well as Easter and Thanksgiving.

I don't mind working so that somebody who has more of a family life than I do can be off.

I do like doing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner but I'm not religious and I don't have kids and so to me, Easter is just another day.

Our son has his kids this weekend but will be alone on Christmas unless a buddy or so have the same instance. I hate for him to be alone then, but he will call and knowing we will get to talk to him is something we couldn't expect when he was married. His ex-wife seemed to keep him busy at all the things she wanted and resented his calling us. I hated to see him give in to her but didn't want to make trouble for him. He learned an important lesson on allowing someone to control him. When we went to visit she saw to it that dh and our son had no time alone or even alone time for me and our son. It was amazing that his "depression" disappeared about the same time as his wife.
    Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
    Exercise daily; Walk with the Lord.

In God We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Licia View Post
    Our son has his kids this weekend but will be alone on Christmas unless a buddy or so have the same instance. I hate for him to be alone then, but he will call and knowing we will get to talk to him is something we couldn't expect when he was married. His ex-wife seemed to keep him busy at all the things she wanted and resented his calling us. I hated to see him give in to her but didn't want to make trouble for him. He learned an important lesson on allowing someone to control him. When we went to visit she saw to it that dh and our son had no time alone or even alone time for me and our son. It was amazing that his "depression" disappeared about the same time as his wife.
    My dad's current wife is a LOT like that.

She succeeded in destroying any relationship between us a LONG time ago.

I've seen him three or four times in the past twenty years.

The last time was in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by brianna View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me, Southern Thunder. I've been alone on Christmas and it was OK. I'm not a traditionalist at heart although I do like it when DH is not 'away' at Christmas. He is at home this year. Too bad he's missing a trip to Hawaii. Some of the guys love doing the Christmas stint since the Obamas occupy the WH.
    LOL!!! I'll bet they love that trip, dealing with the individuals might be different!! Glad your DH is home, doll.

Licia,this quote speaks volumns!! "It was amazing that his "depression" disappeared about the same time as his wife." I hope your son is having a much better life minus the baggage.

S.T., sometimes these things happen. You're definitely not alone in this situation of not seeing a parent when a re-marriage happened. And no, I'm not feeling sorry for you, big guy. Life happens and we suck it up and make the best of it and get on with the program. Otherwise we mire in self-pity.