Community Message Boards

Thread: Y'all cooking on NYE, 2012?

Default Y'all cooking on NYE, 2012?

What's cooking at your house on New Year's Eve? Or are you going out for a celebration and eat out? We stay home on this special night. This will sound like a strange supper, but it's our NYE tradition and we're sticking with it..we have polish sausage, saute' green peppers and onions served on hamburger buns. And a side of chips! I'm making a Pecan Pie this year although we don't have a special dessert, just what ever is available. Y'all have any traditions?

Happy New Year!

Since today is also our anniversary we have our own "traditional" dinner. Filet mignon, brown butter asparagus, baked potatoes and tonight an assortment of cheese cake, strawberry, plain, and caramel chocolate with nuts. That is IF the happy groom wakes up from his nap on the sofa...
    Y'all be safe out there.. Happy New Years Eve
    Indian rain dances worked because they didn't stop dancing until it started to rain. Keep on Dancing.

If I put a little icing on my muffin top, would it make me a cupcake?

Happy Anniversary Wehoney! How many years?

Had a late Christmas dinner yesterday. Tonight we'll have ham sandwiches on pumpernickel with the leftover ham and I'm making a pot of roasted red bell pepper soup. Dh is hoping to watch LSU in their bowl game tonight, but I can hear him snoring in the background. Wonder how much of it he'll actually see.

Had a glass of Chambord and sparkling wine earlier. Maybe another before the night is over.

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by charley; 12-31-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Happy Anniversary, Wehoney, and I hope you and the OG have many, many more.

Charley, your soups always sound so wonderful. Do you mind sharing this one??

Happy anniversary WeHoney.

Grits, here you go. I buy red bells when they're on sale, then roast and store in the freezer. Sometimes I'll add roasted hot peppers too.

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup

2 tablespoons butter
    1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped shallots or 1 red onion, chopped
    2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced
    4 red bell peppers, roasted, seeded, and peeled
    3 cups chicken broth
    1/4 cup half and half
    salt and pepper, to taste
    lemon wedges

Saute shallots and garlic in butter until soft. Add red peppers. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Puree with immersion blender until smooth. Add half and half. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with lemon wedges. Donít forget them! The juice adds a wonderful flavor profile to the finished soup.

Charley, thank you for the recipe. We love soup and have tried several that you have shared. Our Kroger will often have the peppers on sale for 5 for 5. I freeze them chopped, but hadn't thought of roasting prior to. New idea......thanks!