Community Message Boards

Thread: What's for dinner? Thursday, January 24, 2013.

Default What's for dinner? Thursday, January 24, 2013.

It's 33 here with a forecast for a balmy high of 41 today and 25 tonight and so I think I'm going to make some chicken and black bean chili and probably some bread to go with it.

I'd like to make some cornbread but I still haven't gotten around to fixing my oven.
    There's a part of me that will always be/
    Just a boy in a hole with a M-16

ST, you can make good cornbread on top of the stove if you don't make it too thick and use a spatula to turn it. My grandmother always made hers that way and our son likes it best like that.
    Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
    Exercise daily; Walk with the Lord.

In God We Trust

Did you make the cornbread, S.T.? Better get that oven fixed. First thing you know, you'll be working and will not have time to come home and deal with an oven! Good luck, big guy.

I love hot water cornbread and that is on top of the stove. Yummy

I have no idea how to make corn bread on top of the stove and I'd already made French bread in my bread machine by the time I saw the replies here.
    There's a part of me that will always be/
    Just a boy in a hole with a M-16

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Thunder View Post
    I have no idea how to make corn bread on top of the stove and I'd already made French bread in my bread machine by the time I saw the replies here.
    Take self rising cornmeal or cornmeal mix. Add a little salt and in my case pepper. Add boiling hot water until about the consistency of a thick batter. Drop into a pan with a small amount of hot oil and fry. It's good stuff. You can even add peppers, onions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by grits View Post
    Take self rising cornmeal or cornmeal mix. Add a little salt and in my case pepper. Add boiling hot water until about the consistency of a thick batter. Drop into a pan with a small amount of hot oil and fry. It's good stuff. You can even add peppers, onions, etc.
    So good!! And if you make a thin consistency, you can make it really crisp. Love it either way. Its really good with minced onions....

Oh, girls, that kind of corn bread brings back so many memories of my paternnal grandmother. She wasn't a fabulous cook since she never really had much time for recipes and such. She was widowed at age 29 with 6 children - my father being the oldest and the only boy. But the simple things she cooked were better than anyone else. She would make it thin and crisp, sometimes a bit thicker in what she called hoe cakes and sometimes in little pieces no bigger than a cookie and I loved them all. I can never tell our son that I made cornbread on top of the stove - it gets him homesick. Our daughter likes cornbread with sour cream, cheese, onions, eggs and Lord only knows what else. When they were both home if we had cornbread, we had to have both kinds - which was really alright with me. I like them all. My goodness, this got me a little homesick for the old times. I miss not having children at home.
    Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
    Exercise daily; Walk with the Lord.

In God We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Licia View Post
    Oh, girls, that kind of corn bread brings back so many memories of my paternnal grandmother. She wasn't a fabulous cook since she never really had much time for recipes and such. She was widowed at age 29 with 6 children - my father being the oldest and the only boy. But the simple things she cooked were better than anyone else. She would make it thin and crisp, sometimes a bit thicker in what she called hoe cakes and sometimes in little pieces no bigger than a cookie and I loved them all. I can never tell our son that I made cornbread on top of the stove - it gets him homesick. Our daughter likes cornbread with sour cream, cheese, onions, eggs and Lord only knows what else. When they were both home if we had cornbread, we had to have both kinds - which was really alright with me. I like them all. My goodness, this got me a little homesick for the old times. I miss not having children at home.
    I miss them also, Licia! In fact, I miss having anyone at home to cook for....but it does bring back some good memories for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Licia View Post
    Licia, so funny you talk about having to cook two different kinds. When I first decided in 7th grad that I would not eat meat my Mother would cook two pots of veggies on the stove one with and one without. Now she is a total without, but still eats meat I have a good Mama!!