Community Message Boards

Thread: Friday, 2/1/13. Y'all cooking today?

Default Friday, 2/1/13. Y'all cooking today?

So, here we are in the second month of 2013..already. What's cooking at your house? A friend gave me a recipe yesterday for a sweet snack and I'm going to try that. We're meeting that same friend and her DH tonight for supper so I'll give her my reaction to the recipe. It sounds pretty good and I'll share it here, but can't give any thumbs up or thumbs down. LOL!!

Chocolate Caramel Candy Bars
    3 T. granulated sugar
    1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temp
    3/4 c. AP flour
    1 14 oz. can condensed milk
    1 T. light corn syrup
    1 t. molasses
    1 t. vanilla
    1/4 t. salt
    2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    Heat oven to 350. Lightly coat an 8" square pan with cooking spray, line the pan with parchment, leaving a 3" overhang on 2 sides.
    Beat the sugar and 6 T. butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixing until fully incorporated. Using floured fingers, press the dough into the prepared pan. Bake until set and golden brown at edges..16-18 minutes.
    Meanwhile in medium saucepan combine the condensed milk, corn syrup, molasses and 5 T. butter. Stirring occasionally, bring to smiller over medium-low heat. Gently simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened and pale golden brown..5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and salt. Immediately spread the mixture over the crust. Refrigerate until set, 30-45 minutes.
    Place chocolate and remaining T. butter in microwave, cook on high until beginning to melt..30 seconds. Stir until the mixture is melted and smooth. Spread over caramel and refrigerate until set..about 30 minutes.
    Cut into 1" squares.

Think friend said it came from WD magazine. As I said, I haven't tried it but it sounds good..and easy. I like easy!

That recipe sounds good, Nora. Please share the product with us!

We're going out for our usual fish and chips tonight. Been away for a while, got in late yesterday afternoon and there is nothing in the house to cook anyway. I guess the grocery store should be our first stop of the day.

Nora, the recipe sounds good. I wonder if nuts could be added. We are addicted to nuts and thoroughly enjoyed the Hawaiian bread. I put one loaf in the fridge to hide it. The other is gone gone.
    Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
    Exercise daily; Walk with the Lord.

In God We Trust

Probably some kind of take out here but I haven't decided on what yet.
    There's a part of me that will always be/
    Just a boy in a hole with a M-16

We had pork BBQ sandwiches with coleslaw. Dessert was cheesecake. No, I didn't cook!

Nora, that dessert sounds good. I've copied the recipe. Thanks.